Are you ready for some football! The Southern Heritage Classic presented by FedEx is the annual college football game between the Tigers of Jackson State University and the Tigers of Tennessee State University since 1994. However, The Southern Heritage Classic is so much more than the annual football game. It's also a weekend long celebration that includes golf tournaments, music, fashion shows, marching bands, comedians and tons of tailgaiting.
Events leading up to the game include:
- 8 am: Classic Business Conference at the FedEx Institute of Technology at the University of Memphis campus.
- 9 am: Classic College Fair at the Pipkin Building on Tiger Lane. Presented by AC Wharton and City of Memphis Office of Youth Services. At the fair you can talk to regional colleges and universities about attending college. Admission is free!
- 5 pm: Classic VIP Party at Halloran Centre for Performing Arts & Education. AC Wharton hosts and music by Trio Plus (Invitation Only).
- 8 pm: Classic Concert at Orpheum Theatre. Gladys Knight will bring soul to the theatre during a magical performance alongside special guest Jammin Jay Lamont. Tickets cost $82.50 and $62.50.
- 9 am: Classic College Fair continues at the Pipkin Building on Tiger Lane.
- Noon: Nike Classic Coaches Luncheon at The Peabody Hotel Grand Ballroom. An honorary lunch for Tennessee State University head football coach Rod Reed and Jackson State University head football coach Harold Jackson (Invitation Only).
- 7 pm: Greek Showdown. Memphis Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority present a step show. Tickets cost $15 advance admission and $20 at the door. For tickets and information,
contact Adrienne Dobbins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7:30 pm: Classic Music Festival at Landers Center. Jammin Jay Lamont will host performances by Anthony Hamilton, Fantasia, Johnny Gill and Avery*Sunshine.
- 8 am: Classic Tailgate at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium. Food, music, and everything you could want at a tailgate. Premium Tiger Lane, RV and tailgating packages available.
- 8 am: Ed “Too Tall” Jones Golf Classic at Tunica National Golf & Tennis. $150 per person, including green fee and half a cart.
- 9 am: Classic Parade along Park Avenue from Haynes to Airways. Local high school marching bands will perform to celebrate the Southern Heritage Classic.
- 10 am: Classic Battle of the Bands at Whitehaven High School Stadium.
- 11 am: Classic Fashions & Brunch at Holiday Inn University of Memphis. A glamorous Sunday brunch presented by the National Coalition of 100 Black Women-Memphis Chapter. Tickets cost $50.
Southern Heritage Classic Football Game
The classic rivalry between Jackson State and Tennessee State will start at 6 pm at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium. During halftime, the AutoZone Halftime show will feature TSU’s Aristocrat of Bands and JSU’s Sonic Boom of the South. Following the game, the 5th quarter will finish the night with the battle of the bands.
Visit www.southernheritageclassic.com for additional information, tickets, merchandise, and so much more!
By and photo credit: southernheritageclassic.com